View Single Post
ArtleyWilkins
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2018
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 14, 2019 at 05:17 PM

I understand the anxiety when our kids indicate being depressed, etc. One thing that helps me keep perspective is that, most likely, their need for therapy and/or meds is not going to be a long-term issue because, at least in our case, they don't have the additional complication of an abuse/trauma background and no underlying serious mental illness. And sure enough, when my sons have asked to see someone, it has always been rather short-term (3-6 months). My youngest son is most like me personality-wise, so he's prone to anxiety and depression, but he's really good about talking to me about it and has started developing healthy coping strategies so that therapy hasn't been a necessity.

It's easy to forget that most people actually don't need therapy or treatment long-term. It sounds like your son is being pretty open with you about what he needs. Isn't he blessed to have a parent who he can be open with? Don't forget that. He's probably ahead of the game in the way.

Remember to let him handle this as much as possible as the adult he is. Help him navigate making the initial appointment, finances, etc., and then allow him to handle the rest himself unless he asks for other involvement. Transitioning from parenting a child to parenting an adult is . . . a transition. They may need help learning the "adulting" parts of things, but they definitely want, as much as possible, to be given the space of that adulthood.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127, here today