View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 16, 2019 at 02:01 PM

The naturalpath and homeopath industry is booming and yes, most prey on the vunerable but even normally skeptic people fall for it too. I always go back to science. I read sources. I check the sources against other sources. The issue is also that there is a subset of the population that seems to think there is a government conspiracy or big pharma conspiracy to force people to take more and more medicine. I wont say that drug companies are innocent- of course they are a poorly regulated industry with the ability to price things anyway they see fit. But that doesnt mean they have no legitimacy. The beauty of the times we live in is the ability to do our own research. The important thing is to know the source you are reading and know if they have any angles or conflicts of interest. its almost like the anti-vaccine movement. Many cite a debunked theory promoted by a doctor who was found out to be a fraud and who had to retract his own findings. And there is tons of misinformation out there to suit any agenda. its fine to have a healthy suspicion about things in general but the all or nothing approach can be hazardous. The same people who claim big pharma is out to get them are the same people who will ask for an antibiotic for a viral infection. Or pain medication in the hospital. If your loved one had cancer would you be willing to discount the science so readily? So many people are so self serving they are only thinking about themselves and what affects them, and not what harm they could put other people in due to their negligence. Quick aside..I almost fell for it over guardasil, the HPV vaccine. My cousin was in my ear telling me someone she knew had a friend who knew a person that had a horrible reaction to the shot. She made it seem like it would be putting poison into my daughters' body or that it contained mercury. Thank god i thought about it for a hot minute, did my own research and talked with their doctor. Mental health issues have biological causes to back them up. Can people do it without meds and professional help? Sure..but a professional sure makes a better guide and meds can be a lifesaver. Your ship could sink and leave you in the ocean. Sure you can swim but it would be much easier to have a life jacket.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
growlycat, WishfulThinker66