View Single Post
Anonymous50384

Default Jan 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum220 View Post
I just found this thread. Yay! I need to be kinder to myself. The goat track in my head very quickly goes to the negative and critical within point zero of a second. These thoughts seem so constant that the very idea of tackling them seems impossible. Why is it so much easier to be kinder to other people than myself? I would never dare to say to others what I say to myself. The task itself seems enormous.

Where do I start?
Hi Possum! Welcome aboard When you asked "Where to start?" the first thing that popped into my head was the way we talk to ourselves. It was an idea that was introduced to me a few years ago. When I say that, I mean, tone of voice, and yes, what we say to ourselves as well. The way it was introduced to me was "imagine you are someone's loving mother, or that you have a loving mother or parental figure speaking to you." I also really have gotten a lot out of Kristen Neff's book Self Compassion as well as her website, Self-Compassion I think the website may be more helpful in some respects because it seems to break things down, make them simpler, and has exercises / practices anyone can try.

I hope I helped. Feel free to bring up questions and comments. Have a great day.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
may24, possum220