View Single Post
darkside8

Member Since Dec 2018
24 hugs
given
Default Jan 19, 2019 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricManatee View Post
I have a few thoughts. First of all, it sounds like you feel stressed out by your therapist's line of questioning. I think it's perfectly reasonable to tell her that you need to slow things down and go at whatever pace makes you feel comfortable. You can also tell her that you're not comfortable answering whatever question she is asking.

Secondly, I think the potential root of anxiety that you describe makes perfect sense. Have you had a chance to share it with your T? A lot of times people can be perfectionists because they want social recognition or support as a way to combat not feeling good enough inside. So I think that part of your past is definitely worth exploring.

By the way, have you ever heard about childhood emotional neglect? I wonder if that concept would resonate. It applies to some loving families where the parents just aren't able to meet their child's emotional needs for whatever reason, and sometimes it can lead to the child being a perfectionist and then developing anxious tendencies when they run up against the fact that perfection isn't possible.
So those years when I felt safe because I received recognition and support from my teachers was because I was already feeling not good enough? This would mean that their recognition and support wasn't the cause of not feeling good enough, but rather a time I felt my need slightly met? And because I felt it once and no longer do, I have been seeking it through wanting to appear perfect to others?

I have thought about childhood emotional neglect - makes some sense as i have a big family, lost my father age 9 and was a huge tom boy who always appeared tough. (Also experienced child on child abuse which no one at the time knew about - but don't want T to know this if it plays no part)
darkside8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote