darkside8

Member Since Dec 2018
24 hugs
given
Default Jan 19, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild at heart View Post
My therapist is integrative too.
My belief is that the helpful thing about therapy is the experience it can give you. So for instance you say that you can't let go of the fear of making mistakes. So if you could experience in therapy that nothing you do in your relationship with your therapist is a mistake, then this helps get over it.

I consider that gaining an understanding is overrated in therapy. I can't really see what one does with the understanding once one has it. But I think I may be a minority in this, and I'm interested in hearing your view (or others') as to why it is helpful. My T also thinks the understanding is helpful.
My opinion on gaining an understanding was exactly yours until last week when my therapist explained the effects some events and experiences can have during particular childhood years and there is evidence for it - it allows the ‘now adult’ to understand what has and is going on with them, which is particularly important for those frustrated by unwanted thoughts, feelings and behaviours.

However, after exploring my childhood and teenage years today in order to respond to my therapist next session, my thoughts are exactly what you say - what now? what do I do with this information? I may consider exploring this question with her when I hand her my notes.
darkside8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote