Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 24, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
Yes, the funny thing is that I think I routinely tolerate lots of difficult emotions without “imploding” but this particular instance is just so tough. The anxiety between session can get to be like nothing I’m familiar with and I feel like it shouldn’t bother me as much as it does.

My therapist said that he thinks I need “someone to push up against” which is strange because I think of myself as a fully functioning adult. As a kid, though, I was exceptionally well-behaved and good and had minimal needs, so maybe this is what’s showing up in therapy. Although of course I’d like him to reply to my emails, I feel strangely comforted by his saying no, explaining it kindly, and still being there. I guess it makes me feel “held” in a way.

The bolded part would describe me as a kid, too. In some ways, I find stuff that I didn't get to express (or feel comfortable/safe expressing) in childhood coming out in therapy. In one way, feeling OK sharing my needs. But also conflicts that I developmentally should have had with my parents as a teen, they seem to come out at times with current T and did with ex-T/ex-MC. So that's maybe going on for you as well.
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Lrad123