View Single Post
LMo
Elder

Member Since Jan 2003
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 11, 2008 at 01:19 PM

Magasanguis (neat name, by the way) - I understand the others' reaction about your parents, but I don't think that's your question, is it?

I was in a kind of similar situation when I was 16 (I'm now 38). It wasn't so much that my parents 'trusted' me, but my mom had died a year earlier and my dad worked across the country Monday-Friday, so my younger brother and I were home alone. I had co-ed sleepovers at my house as well, but nothing ever came of it, so I disagree with the typical parental reaction that teenagers will take advantage of the lack of supervision if given the opportunity. I think it depends upon the kid and their friends.

But, back to YOU. You are able to articulate your thoughts and feelings quite well, and I think I 'get' your question. You seem to have good self-esteem and your reasons for agreeing to some of the dares don't appear to be coming from fear of rejection or ridicule. I would worry about you MORE if it seemed as though you just didn't know how to say no. Sounds like you were in control of your role in the situation. I think what everyone here is expressing concern about is how over-confidence can lead you into a situation that you didn't anticipate - what if the games got out of hand and you could no longer have a say in what you did or didn't do? I think that's what everyone is saying, even though it's not coming out that way.

Regarding your virginity vs modesty vs lack of feeling bad... I don't think your feelings are wrong. You seem pragmatic rather than romantic, and while in a way, it's sad that you'll miss the romantic aspects of having your first sexual experiences, you can only regret losing something that you were attached to in the first place. I did sense a little bit of naivety in your last post about "we can't really end up hurting one another", but that's an experience that adults have too, so you'll find that part out on your own.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but it just sounds to me as though your head is screwed on fairly straight and as long as you are able to understand that you ARE taking some risks, some of which you might not be able to control despite your confidence, then use condoms (I don't care if they are STD free - use a condom anyway) and always make sure that you have a backup plan in case things do get out of your control.