Member Since Nov 2015
1,043 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 25, 2019 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizi View Post
Dechandawa,
Thank you for your nice and kind and lengthy post to me this morning.
I really appreciate your wisdom and sharing your story.
There are other reasons for not attending AA meetings of any kind that I won't go into here.
I hope you have a wonderful sober life!!!!
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi

I shared my story but really I wasn't that great an AA'er! Because like I said I didn't really follow the program. I found the religious aspect of AA to be...really...the deal breaker. Because everyone says AA is not religious...but heck, what do you call holding hands and praying at EVERY MEETING? I think in the end it was that hypocrisy that caused me to leave AA.

What I believe is people can quit drinking and don't need to label themselves as alcoholic. I went to a local detox center and took a written test that categorized me as a problem drinker, so that's when I went to AA. I never once labeled myself an alcoholic..because I did not like the "illness" model. I preferred a more holistic approach.

I tried a couple other sobriety groups, too.

I think the key to breaking addictions is every time you have the craving...do something else...and eventually the addiction weakens. I think it is that simple.

I am still dieting and it's hard and alcohol would completely wreck my attempts. It just took me two weeks to lose one pound! But I am going in the right direction.

Bizi, just set your mind in the right direction and go that way...you can do it!!!

I don't think of myself as "sober for life," -- and maybe in the future I will drink socially. The key is that now I don't drink when stressed or working out serious life problems.

However, now there are reports out that even in moderation alcohol is potentially harmful. So maybe I will be forever sober. I don't know. For now it's great.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, MickeyCheeky, Sunflower123, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
bizi, MickeyCheeky