Member Since Oct 2017
9,711 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 26, 2019 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfused254 View Post
Hi Buffy01,

From my experience through almost 2 years of counseling self-care is simply taking care of yourself and recognizing yourself and needs as your own, not someone else's. In today's society people seem to give brownie points for those who have the busiest schedules and social lives. But in the process the implied belief is to take care of yourself last.

How can this be illustrated? If you travel, airlines always include oxygen masks in the case of air space pressure loss in their preliminary safety video. Self-care, as is stated in these videos, is putting your mask on BEFORE helping others. Just think how dangerous it would be, rushing around the entire cabin putting masks on all the other passengers while you haven't even put it on!

In the same way failure to practice self-care can have serious repercussions, like depression or loss of individuality. Self care ranges from simple routine activities, like ensuring adequate sleep at night or brushing your teeth, to saying "no" to toxic relationships. Selfishness is not always a bad thing. In fact, it can help you become healthy, happy and balanced. Self care, in an even more faceted sense, acknowledges yourself as a unique person with your own skill-sets and personality.

You are your own unique person, Buffy01, and I know that you have your own skills and hobbies that compose your unique personality. In my case I have gotten into scuba diving. How did I channel this interest? I recently got certified for recreational diving. Like woodcrafting? Then go out to your shop and carve out some wooden figurines. When you find authentic, genuine people who admire who you are, hopefully they will also respect that you have such traits and cool hobbies.

Go out there embrace the person you are and don't let anybody take it away from you!
I will try to find a hobby.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Betty_Banana, DazedandConfused254