View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Feb 04, 2019 at 02:31 PM

I'm sorry you are having to cope with all of this arguing. I'm an older person now. But many years ago, when I was growing up, I recall my parents fought a lot too. I can vaguely recall one incident where I tried to intervene. My father put me in my place quick-like & I don't think I ever tried that again.

I don't know as there is a lot I can suggest with regard to this. My personal opinion is that what is going on between your parents is between them. It has nothing to do with you directly. So my thinking would be that the best thing to do is to simply stay out of it, perhaps even leave the house for a while if possible. I remember riding away from home on my bicycle on one of my birthdays when my parents were arguing. Whether it's right or wrong, my experience tells me there's really nothing a child (even one of 17) can do to intervene when parents start fighting.

Having written all of that, here are links to 4 articles, from Psych Central's archives, that (hopefully) may be of some help. The first article is by our host Dr. John Grohol, Psy.D.:

We Are Responsible for Our Own Feelings

How to Keep Fear from Stealing Your Life

6 Ways to Stop Absorbing Other People's Emotions

Techniques for Teens: How to Cope with Your Emotions

My best wishes to you...

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
avlady, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
hEALerCOol, MickeyCheeky, Open Eyes