View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Feb 09, 2019 at 08:54 AM

You said you spoke to your Human Resources Department. Did you mention then work was affecting your mental health or the word Anxiety? If so, your workplace is legally bound to accomodate you. If they are an employer of size (I assume if they have an HR they are bound to be), they will have access to what is called an EAP (Employee Assistance Package). Please note this is NOT your health and benefits and there is no connection between the two other than the EAP will draw from your benefits funding.

An EAP is a clearing house persay of resources - like therapy, etc. They can provide you with immediate help, act as a go between with your HR at work (if you so desire), and refer you to programs and therapy. A plan of action will be drawn up for coping with your work and non-work related stress and your employer MUST adhere to this.

My own example is that when I contacted mine years ago they immediately took action. I wasn't even dealing with work related stress rather the stress of a marital breakup which affected my work. So they got me in touch with both a therapist and made appointments with several lawyers for a complimentary consultation. In the meantime, while waiting for these various appointments, the EAP sent out a big box of marvelous coping mechanisms for the short term; candles, relaxation CD, bath salts, lavender essential oil, and a work book pertaining to workplace anxiety. It all was a great experience. Meanwhile my work gave me lighter duties until I was back on track again.

Look into whether your employer will have one. Now a point of note: if you have a health and benefits package you are likely to also have an EAP. It is alarming though that most businesses don't even bother to inform their employees of its existence.

Also of note: Your employer cannot use your divulging of being anxious or some other mental health issue against you. This is the law. As said, they are obligated to accomodate you if you choose to disclose. At no time, unless you have authorised, will an EAP divulge anything back to your employer.

I hope this helps you and any others reading this.

NOW, I recently had to quit my most recent job over stress. Stupidly I was so wound up that when my employer offered to assist and accomodate me I turned them down. I really truly regret this. It was the heat of the moment, I was in the throws of a panic attack and quit on the spot. In retrospect I am really kicking myself for not taking them up on their offer. Poop.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous40643, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky