View Single Post
Anonymous40643

Default Feb 09, 2019 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
You said you spoke to your Human Resources Department. Did you mention then work was affecting your mental health or the word Anxiety? If so, your workplace is legally bound to accomodate you. If they are an employer of size (I assume if they have an HR they are bound to be), they will have access to what is called an EAP (Employee Assistance Package). Please note this is NOT your health and benefits and there is no connection between the two other than the EAP will draw from your benefits funding.

An EAP is a clearing house persay of resources - like therapy, etc. They can provide you with immediate help, act as a go between with your HR at work (if you so desire), and refer you to programs and therapy. A plan of action will be drawn up for coping with your work and non-work related stress and your employer MUST adhere to this.

My own example is that when I contacted mine years ago they immediately took action. I wasn't even dealing with work related stress rather the stress of a marital breakup which affected my work. So they got me in touch with both a therapist and made appointments with several lawyers for a complimentary consultation. In the meantime, while waiting for these various appointments, the EAP sent out a big box of marvelous coping mechanisms for the short term; candles, relaxation CD, bath salts, lavender essential oil, and a work book pertaining to workplace anxiety. It all was a great experience. Meanwhile my work gave me lighter duties until I was back on track again.

Look into whether your employer will have one. Now a point of note: if you have a health and benefits package you are likely to also have an EAP. It is alarming though that most businesses don't even bother to inform their employees of its existence.

Also of note: Your employer cannot use your divulging of being anxious or some other mental health issue against you. This is the law. As said, they are obligated to accomodate you if you choose to disclose. At no time, unless you have authorised, will an EAP divulge anything back to your employer.

I hope this helps you and any others reading this.

NOW, I recently had to quit my most recent job over stress. Stupidly I was so wound up that when my employer offered to assist and accomodate me I turned them down. I really truly regret this. It was the heat of the moment, I was in the throws of a panic attack and quit on the spot. In retrospect I am really kicking myself for not taking them up on their offer. Poop.
Thank you SO much for this. I noticed you are in Canada. The laws may be different here in the U.S. regarding disclosure and EAP.

I don't know if we have EAP. But I did mention to HR that i have anxiety and depression and then eventually admitted that it has been exacerbated by work.

I do have a regular therapist I see every two weeks. I see her Tuesday. I will also ask her for guidance as well.

That is unfortunate about your own job. I do understand acting in the heat of the moment though, completely. I have done the same at various points.

In fact, I feel or worry that they now think I was just threatening to leave in the heat of the moment.

I worry that I did not get my points across well to HR and to the CEO because I was emotional and high strung: that it's a high burnout role because of the way it's structured, that I don't think we are doing our clients any favors with our ridiculously LONG reports that take a FULL WEEK to write, and that these reports are overkill and are taking away valuable time from developing strategies to help our clients succeed more.

The issue I have with EAP: I have used it once before, and in the U.S., they limit you to 10-12 sessions -- at least in my experience. I have a therapist already I can work with, but it wouldn't hurt to at least look into EAP as a possible option -- thank you!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
CepheidVariable, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky