View Single Post
AspiringAuthor
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2017
374 hugs
given
Default Feb 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM

I'd like to hear from people who take Topomax for mood stability. I started taking it to stop weight gain from Zyprexa (yes, it stopped weight gain, albeit is not bringing about weight loss, probably because I am still on Zyprexa) and noticed with amazement that 12.5 mg slowed down racing thoughts and made them much more positive in content (yes I had racing thoughts even on Zyprexa) while 25 mg completely stopped racing thoughts and made my thinking process go pretty much the way it did before the disorder started (I had late onset). I am now on 50 mg and although I am not depressed, I am kind of less enthusiastic, have kind of lost some of the zest for life, so I am trying to untangle what is causing it. I also with this change went down from 7.5 Zyprexa to 5 mg Zyprexa (for two reasons - I am hoping to sleep less, and this does help, as I now sleep 9 hours and used to sleep 11 hours on average, and I am hoping to suffer fewer metabolic long term side effects).

So was it Zyprexa that made me so enthusiastic at work and in life and was it going down on it that removed some of the enthusiasm? I doubt. I think it is probably raising Topamax. I initially planned to try raising it even further, slowly - I thought I'd try 57.5 mg next, then 60 mg but now I am not sure.

Hard to untangle what is baseline mood and what is due to medications. Also, hard to say what is due to a single medication and what is due to their interaction.

Zyprexa Zydis 5 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Melatonin 10 mg
Levoxyl 75 mcg (because I took Lithium in the past)

past medications: Depakote, Lamictal, Lithium, Seroquel, Trazodone, Risperdal, Cogentin, Remerol, Prozac, Amitriptyline, Ambien, Lorazepam, Klonopin, Saphris, Trileptal, Clozapine and Clozapine+Wellbutrin, Topamax
AspiringAuthor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky