View Single Post
Lrad123
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
372 hugs
given
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 06:29 PM

I just sent my therapist a formal, civilized termination email. I think I just got tired of the ambivalence and decided there wasn’t clear benefit to me any longer despite giving it 17 months. He’s on vacation next week and maybe it was triggered by that. I had asked towards the end of our session 2 weeks ago if he’d still read my emails while on vacation (he reads them but decided to no longer send replies a couple of months ago) and asked if he’d consider sending a brief response since I wouldn’t see him for 2 weeks. He said no (he said it nicely, but it was no). Of course I understand that it’s his choice and he’s allowed to respond any way that feels right to him. But his decision not to ever reply feels rigid and it was a decision made without having a conversation with me first and it was done abruptly after responding to my emails for over a year.

I am self-sufficient, independent and have had quite a bit of experience with important people in my life not responding to my requests and I just don’t understand why my therapist thought it was important for me to experience that in our therapy relationship. I clearly keep asking for something that he is not able to give, so it seemed best to put an end to the pattern. I also told him he was kind, patient and empathetic and thanked him for that. I told him it was a tough decision for me and that I will feel a loss for some period of time. I asked him to send my bill to my home and said I’d send a check.

I’m not sure if this was the right way to end things, but I did feel some urgency to end things now and not wait until the next time I see him. I hope I’m not running away from something good. I feel a mix of relief and loss. I suppose he will never send a response which saddens me, but it’s also something I’m used to from him.
Lrad123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anastasia~, Anonymous46341, Anonymous47147, Anonymous56387, Anonymous56789, atisketatasket, Bill3, BizzyBee, coolibrarian, daisydid, Echos Myron redux, Elio, HD7970GHZ, here today, HowDoYouFeelMeow?, InkyBooky, Kk222, koru_kiwi, LabRat27, Lemoncake, LonesomeTonight, NP_Complete, Out There, precaryous, RaineD, SalingerEsme, ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty, Taylor27, Topiarysurvivor

Thanks for this!
HD7970GHZ, SalingerEsme