Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 15, 2019 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottrustin View Post
If T is on vacation, I find I tend we to keep the conversation lighter. We still do some therapy work just not the intensely emotional stuff. We usually also theme to have more general non therapy conversations.

Yep, I tried (and mainly succeeded) in doing the same in session yesterday, as my T will be away next week. We kept things lighter, and it felt more about the connection (some joking around, etc.). We did discuss a bit about what I could do during the next week to make things easier, like self-care (yoga, walking, meditation, etc.), support system, etc. And T reassured me that it's fine if I do end up emailing while he's away, so it helped to hear that. I brought up one thing that could have potentially caused a therapeutic relationship issue, depending on his answer, and he was like, "Are you sure you want to discuss this topic?" But it was an easy answer and the one I was hoping for, so it was fine. And I did talk a bit about how his going away was hard for me, and he seemed to really understand and "get it" this time, unlike the first time he went away a year ago (he's had other trips in between, but they've been shorter ones). It helped that he understood. I told him near the end that I had wanted to avoid really intense topics, and he said (semi-jokingly), "You didn't want to leave with a big ball of trauma to deal with over the next week?"

I think the mix of mostly light topics, coping strategies, and a bit of reassurance was a good one. So maybe consider that, Scarlet?
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127, ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty