View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Feb 26, 2019 at 06:31 PM

With the psychiatrists I've had these last 16 years (my current for almost 13 and counting), therapy was not optional. It was mandatory. However, I had terrible experiences with therapy for a little over half that time. Part of it were the therapists, part just me and my illness. It's a long story. Of the over 10 therapists I saw during that period, I only really benefited notably from four, and my current is looking like a positive relationship, too. I'm encouraged! Most that I liked had to end for reasons beyond my control (retirement, move, end of time at IOP). A couple eventually turned sour or ran their course. Some were downright awful (creepy, unqualified, eccentric in an uncomfortable way, just seemed to dislike me, or even fear me - during mania).

What I will say is that a good therapist is extremely valuable. I would not be as far along as I am now without my really good therapists. I need someone beyond a family member or friend, especially someone highly trained to help a person in my situation.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
clydeblack, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
clydeblack, MickeyCheeky