View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Mar 05, 2019 at 11:31 PM

Thank you all very much for your time, insight, and truths. Would you agree that sharing our truth can be an important part of healing?

A few of my own truths, for what's it's worth...

I was raised by people with strict and bizarrely puritanical views about sexuality. My mother never explained menstruation or sex or anything related to my siblings and me. In fact, when my sister had her first period, she thought she was seriously ill and needed a doctor because she didn't know anything about how her body was going to evolve. Thankfully she came to me, not to our mother, and I helped her understand what was happening with practical information and sensitivity and warmth.

I now perceive my mother's lack of sexual and basic biological guidance as a form of emotional neglect though I realize others may not agree. My mother's only concern was that we would not become "pregnant out of wedlock." In my view, that is setting the bar for sexual education and sexual development way too low. She also approached the issue by raising us with the notion that sex is inherently sinful, dirty, and dangerous. This did a number on me when I was younger but I have spent years reversing the impact.

I believe that sexuality is a beautiful part of the human condition provided that it is not used as a weapon or to commit a crime against someone. I also think that sexuality occurs as a wide continuum of behaviors and preferences and ideas. It is not black-and-white.

I don't think sex is dirty or "sinful."

To your point, FriendlyJoe - I don't think sex-workers are "less than" me in any way though I do worry about their well-being and safety in an industry notorious for devaluing people. That said, each to their own. I truly don't judge those folks. They are carving out their own path in life. There could be members of PC who work in the sex industry. I think it's helpful to always keep people's backgrounds and personal needs in mind whenever I post...including about sex.

Sex is still a mystery to me! I don't mind admitting that Sometimes that mystery is frustrating and confusing and sometimes I think it's one of life's beautiful complexities!!

Just so you folks know, if you post again on this thread, I will not judge you or shame you if you talk about sexual issues. There's way too much of that already going on in the world as you know. I feel obliged to say (given that this is a psych forum and many posters are survivors of abuse) as long as there are no posts about trying to abuse/assault/commit a criminal act against someone, I see no reason why people can't openly discuss sex.

I really value your ideas. Sometimes I think it can be a breath of fresh air to open up discourse so that people can discuss their sexuality if they feel safe and able to do so. Thank you for sharing and peace to all

Last edited by Anonymous44076; Mar 05, 2019 at 11:53 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
sadveiledbride

Thanks for this!
sadveiledbride