View Single Post
qlvl

Member Since Mar 2019
Default Mar 08, 2019 at 12:06 PM

It sounds like someone who wants commiseration and drama, and others to enable her. I knew someone like that, kept asking for advice but never actually took it. Probably wanted me to get involved directly in her problems somehow, but I never did. One day I just bluntly told her to not ask me for advice and that in any case I wasn't going to give her advice anymore.
It sounds like this person is using you, taking advantage of your empathy. Bottom line is, solving her problems for her guarantees she'll continue to pester you. You can simply say "I don't know what to tell you" or "That's a shame. I'm sure you'll figure it out" or similar responses. I'd avoid circular conversations as to why anything other than enabling her won't work - change the topic or end the conversation if she persists. Or you can be blunt and say "I'm not in the mood for a game of 'yes, but...' You know, when you bring up a problem, ask for advice and then shoot down every and any suggestion for solving your problems that isn't me doing it for you."
qlvl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
eskielover