saidso
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2018
165 hugs
given
Smirk Mar 15, 2019 at 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Volunteering and helping others will change that perspective. Because I am in AA I get that opportunity a lot. Whether its picking up someone from the rescue mission to take them to a meeting, the prison commitment I have, going to court with someone or just sponsoring. It is very hard to dwell on your own stuff when you are helping others. It is much easier to put your own pain into perspective when you are helping someone who has pain "worse" than yours.
I gratefully used an AA model from a book for healing trauma. It was all that I had at the time and has helped a lot. I need something like your volunteer/peer engagement, but haven't found a good place to get involved. My family of origin problems were poverty and definitely not alcohol + I grew up in a wine-growing area so drinking wine is part of social sharing in my culture (usually new low alcohol and def not to get drunk). I've needed to find a peer to peer support: don't want to volunteer for a big NGO. Your recent posts about this remind me to keep looking.

oh god I am struggling today, help me to remember how to stay connected and human!

remember: the nut shell against human predators and my own fear!
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
sarahsweets