View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Mar 21, 2019 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennie View Post
My abuser has never been explicit like this so I am not sure how to respond to something like this. She manipulates in subtle and passive-aggressive ways.
Can you think of any examples off-hand?

When I told the Narc that I liked the radio station we were listening to in his car, he immediately used two types of verbal abuse, "discounting," and "undermining."

Here's what he said to me:

Discounting - the attempt to deny the victim the rights to his/her feelings

"You know Blanche, [name of radio station] is so yesterday b/c their music is so faux-hipster that no one with great musical taste listens to it really. It's perfect for [this city] b/c no one here is really that knowledgeable about what makes good music."

Undermining - attempt to make me question the validity of my own opinion; basically an attempt to put me down for my valid opinion.

"I know [so and so] from [the name of the radio station] and it really isn't that up to date on the type of music it plays. It's really gone downhill as far as quality. I can't believe you like that radio station. I thought you had better taste in music than that."

I didn't know how to respond at the time. I felt bad for liking that radio station's music and being a fan of it for as long as I have. So, I said nothing. But why should i feel bad, just because he told me to? That's why I think he was Narc'ing out on me in the car. Who tells someone that their choice of radio station is wrong, just because THEY don't like that radio station. I was such a wimp, that I didn't even defend liking the radio station to him. I wish I had.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949