View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default Mar 22, 2019 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic rose View Post
I'm not maternal at all and get nervous around kids. Every other women I know coos over them and dotes over other people's children, and I don't feel anything like that, just worry that they are going to notice that I am not reacting in that way. Not saying I don't like kids but every woman I know of my age has kids and it makes topics of conversation uncomfortable.

Having said that, I love dogs and coo over them, and animals in general. Would say I prefer animals to people. But I do feel like a freak because I don't have the maternal instinct, if I do have any it is towards animals.
Thank you for sharing. You are NOT a freak. Jennifer Aniston would probably say you do have a maternal instinct because you mother animals. We need to move away from the "less than" or "weird" notions about women who don't marry or choose not to have children. Dialogue in a safe space helps

Have you ever dealt with this:
"I didn't grow up until I had a baby."
"You can't be a real woman if you don't have children."
"It is selfish to choose not to have children."
"Of course you'll have a baby! How could you not?!"
"You have to get married."
"Why aren't you married?"
"Why don't you have children? Was that a choice or because you can't??"

(I've experienced all of those more times than I could count)

I love children and worked with them for many years but I chose not to have children of my own. I also see nothing wrong with women who aren't comfortable around children. I have a friend like that. She's just not interested. And she LOVES horses. No problem
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949, romantic rose

Thanks for this!
romantic rose