View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default Mar 22, 2019 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
I'm not going to argue with you, but none of us can tell whether (in this case) that this "dealbreaker" is interfering with professional responsibilities. A therapist can decide that suicidal ideation is not in fact a useful topic of conversation in the context of a person's life and other symptoms. Your analogy to a cardiologist and your absolutes do not make sense to me. I see it differently but I have no interest in changing your mind, and you cannot change mine.
The analogy is pretty straightforward. Suicidality and chest pain are both potentially serious symptoms, and it's a vital core responsibility of each profession to be aware of them appropriately and assess them when needed.

I'm not sure why you're not seeing it, but it's very clear from this thread that discouraging OP from talking about suicidality is interfering with that very basic professional responsibility--OP specifically said that her therapist has no idea how much difficulty she's really having right now, as a direct result of her being discouraged from talking about her suicidality.

I don't care about changing your mind, but I do find it worrisome that someone might read your comments as normalizing a therapist's irresponsible behavior.

And piggy momma, none of this is a reflection on you in any negative way. It definitely seems like you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation, and the way you're handling things with your therapist makes sense to me, given both his strengths and limitations. I hope you're doing okay and are doing whatever you need to in order to keep yourself safe.
starfishing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ElectricManatee, LonesomeTonight, piggy momma, scorpiosis37