Thread: Moving out?
View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Mar 24, 2019 at 08:05 AM

The norm is 1/3 of your net income (after taxes and deductions) is maximum you should be paying for rent. I suppose though it really comes down to your other financial commitments. Take into account your utilities, your debt payments, transportation costs, healthcare costs, and any other contributions and financial needs (remember, this is after taxes and deductions have been paid). Another thing you need to consider is move-in and set-up costs. You will require to pay a damage deposit on the apartment. Many locales require first AND last months' rent to be paid up front. There are connection fees to set up things like power, gas, water, television and so on. How will you do the move; truck rental? friends (this isn't free by the way, it is expected that you kick in a few bucks or at least something like a case of beer and pizza). Finally, when it comes to what you put into savings, the rule of thumb is to never have less than three months worth of your rent and other payments in the bank in the event of an emergency.

Yeah, this is a huge commitment to take on, but with a little forethought you can make this work. You may find yourself in the position you have no choice but to spend a higher amount on rent. You just have to budget accordingly and give up things you would otherwise enjoy.

My share of the rent and utilities costs me fully 70% of my assistance income. That doesn't leave a lot for my debt payments, fuel for my vehicle, medications, my share of grocery expenses, etc. But this is a choice I felt was necessary to make in order to live in a comfortable safe neighbourhood. We do without a lot of things like entertainment. We instead get books from the library, play cards and board games, go to free things like galleries and festivals, and so on. We have the most basic of television channels and rarely eat out. I think I see maybe two movies a year.

You really need to consider then what sort of lifestyle you are prepared to accommodate. Are there things you are able to do without in order to live in this apartment? How important is it to you?
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote