Child of a lesser god

Member Since Jun 2015
12.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 31, 2019 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusPsyche View Post
For my fellow academics.... One of our job candidates has filed a complaint that she was discriminated against because of her race/ethnicity. Her evidence is the claim that someone told her that her teaching demo was 20 minutes long but a) the search chair denied saying that and only communicated with her through email, none of which said anything about 20 minutes and b) she was twice sent a schedule that showed the teaching demo was 55 minutes long.

Aside from the fact that 55 minutes is clearly too long for a teaching demo, this has me very upset because my colleague did not discriminate against this candidate. This person was clearly the second choice of the committee when we met. She wasn't able to answer any questions asked during the whole day, including a question from a student during the teaching demo that basically asked "how should we apply this when working in our field?"

Just very upset to have a colleague be accused of racism and worried that we might be forced to hire this person.
If I were she, I wouldn’t want to work in a place where I’d burned my bridges before I even got there by alienating my future colleagues.

If she could not demonstrate competence and your department is agreed on that, I can’t imagine being forced to hire her.

Incidentally I’ve never done a teaching demo less than 45 minutes.

Thanks for this!
CantExplain, Lemoncake, MobiusPsyche, Omers, SlumberKitty, stopdog, WarmFuzzySocks