View Single Post
Ashleypenwren

Member Since Mar 2019
Default Mar 31, 2019 at 04:41 PM

Hello, I've been a lurker here in the past, just coming out of the shadows for opinions..

How did your therapist respond when you told them you were getting attached? Especially if you aren't really showing signs?

I'm not the kind of person who attaches to people in general. In therapy I haven't ever expressed anything close to attachment to my T. I've never contacted her out of session, had any issues with vacations, I didn't see her for 2 months last summer and it was no big deal. We are personable & friendly, I can joke around with her and I trust her as a professional with my dark stuff, but up until recently I didn't really care if she moved, quit her job, transferred me? Whatever. I wouldn't have cared and I'm pretty sure she knew that because she talks about my detachment to other things all the time

Anyway, recently I've noticed a shift. I've started thinking about her outside of session. Before this, I had thoughts about what was coming up next, or thoughts about what she said, but not really about her. I never felt like I missed her between sessions. I never felt anything toward her. To be honest I didn't even recognize her face for the first few months - she would come into the waiting room and look right at me and I'd always pause and panic for a minute because I wasn't sure if she was my therapist or just looking at me.

But now I do so . I don't know what this means. I'm pretty sure what triggered it was her going out of her way to get me an appointment a few weeks ago. I didn't express any need for it, I had just asked if she had other openings that week because I had a family thing, but she cared enough to think if I was asking then I probably wanted/needed it. And now I'm all attached and stuff I don't know if it's good or bad to be attached. It wasn't a goal of mine. Most likely I should tell her though?

Just curious how other T's respond to this? Especially if it's kind of sudden and wasn't the goal for therapy (or my goal anyway). I want to know ahead of time what I'm walking into.
Ashleypenwren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
chihirochild, HD7970GHZ, Omers, SlumberKitty