View Single Post
lizabeth406

Default Apr 01, 2019 at 03:01 PM

I don't really think about the diagnoses anymore, they're mostly something something to list on my medical history when necessary, or for insurance purposes when I saw a therapist. I even distance myself from it by saying "the" instead of "my" because it's not my identity. Yet I do remember feeling enormously relieved when PTSD was first included in the DSM, I think around 1980. I was able to learn what it was and gain a better understanding of what was going on and why.

The main issues I have with the diagnoses are in the medical profession. There have been certain instances where I've had to mention the clinical depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD, etc. Almost always, as soon as that's mentioned the tone changes. The doctor says, "maybe the anxiety is causing this", or something along those lines. I have to be very patient in those instances, lol. Even the mental health system can be patronizing and judgy. If you're chronically anxious you're flighty, have PTSD you're ticking time bomb, have anorexia nervosa you're manipulative, that kind of thing. With the exception of a private therapist, there's really nothing out there as far as therapy. I did go through EAGALA (equine assisted) therapy for a while which was great, and I'm thankful my insurance covered it. But mental health still seems to be about medications. I know they do have their place, but they can also be a lazy fallback for doctors. And if you mention the list of all the serious reactions you've had to all the different medications you've been prescribed in the past, you're labeled as being difficult and resistant. No, I see it as necessary and looking out for yourself.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous44076