Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 08, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
Oh, i dont think he was making a joke. Maybe LT did, but i think the T was just saying about chasing the addiction.
But if you look at what drugs do to the brain, they co-opt pleasure centers that exist for a reason, evolutionarily speaking. There isn't anything wrong with feeling deep, intense pleasure from a strong emotional connection. Primates are wired to do that. If that's "chasing a high," then sign me up.

Comparing this natural urge to connect to a crack addiction (which is a much maligned drug, I might add) seems more than a tad judgmental. It's not whether ex-MC was an appropriate target but what that whole episode means about what LT needs. I don't think people who have historically had their emotional needs met would end up in that situation, so exploring that dynamic seems more important than cutting off the source.

ETA: This isn't exactly the first time Dr. T has derailed a meaningful moment with a joke. I recognize myself in that, cutting the tension by cracking wise when the moments gets intense so I can bypass the unpleasant feelings. So maybe I'm reading too much into this, but that's therapy, baby.
ElectricManatee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
circlesincircles, LonesomeTonight, NP_Complete, unaluna