View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 08, 2019 at 05:33 PM

All my life I was just busy excelling in school, getting my degree & excelling in my career along with being wife, mother & cleaning up after the financial messes my (now) EX-H made (good thing accounting was one of my majors). Along with that I was practicing my flute & playing in chamber groups. I had no time to think about mental health or mental anything.

Then I hit my early 40's & career fell apart, I didn't even realize how my bad marriage was effecting me.....but major depression hit. I thought it was JUST "burn out". But I kept getting worse, not better while on medical leave of absense from my career. Suicide attempts happened. I was diagnosed with major depression & major anxiety. It got so bad I ended up on permanent disability.

I never thought I was living with a diagnosis but I was so miserable I really didn't want to live at all with or without a diagnosis for 13 years.....NOTHING HELPED.

Top that off my mom died of cancer & the situation she created with having to have a home care person put me into a place that caused trauma to me & her but she wasn't cognative enough to even know what was happening.

I actually left my marriage after my mom died. Moved 2100 miles away to try & start life over. The amazing fact was that I did start my life over & realized in the process that most of what I went through was SITUATIONAL. I still struggled here & there with feelings of depression but I could get through it after giving it a few days to smooth out. Stayed on disability because at my age & with my massive migraines I was still dealing with it would have been hard to work a set job anyway.

Wonderful therapy helped me deal with & understand all I had actually experienced my whole life I had just ignored with my "busy" & all the things that had contributed to the diagnosed mess I had ended up being.

Life is now under control (no meds). My T helpes me deal with the tough things I still go through. The good thing about having experienced & been diagnosed is that NOW I am able to recognize when flares of depression hit.....this has been worse this year after losing my soulmate doggie (Leo) who had been a more wonderful & caring part of my life than my EX-H ever was. I can see & recognize the twinges of depression that keep hitting me. I do try hard to counter it & I do stay active with things I was doing before.....having been diagnosed & actually having gotten basically well has actually helped me recognize when I do go through NORMAL phases of depression & anxiety when other situations come up that normally cause these symptoms.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous44076