Thread: ECT
View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Apr 15, 2019 at 06:48 AM

I chose to stop ECT after my initial 7 treatments. This is about 8.5 years ago. If I recall correctly, I did start noticing an easing in my depression by my sixth treatment. After my 7th, I wanted to give medications a chance to take over again, so I rejected maintenance treatments, which were suggested. I rejected them partially because of memory issues, but mostly because I had no one to take me to and stay with me after outpatient ECT.

We're all different. My experience was that my depression started to come back after I stopped ECT. Though I can't be sure, I sort of blamed the medication mix I was on. They put me back on the same cocktail I was on before the ECT. I believe that was a mistake. Eventually, my cocktail was overhauled and that began to help.

If I had it to do over again, I would have found some way to at least get a couple maintenance treatments AND demanded a new cocktail.

My youngest nephew had a similar experience as me. ECT after a particular cocktail (almost same as I had been on) then they put him back on that same cocktail afterwards and his depression returned. I don't like to trash particular meds, so won't mention the name.

My memory issues were definitely not permanent. I may not remember some parts of my ECT hospitalization, but who would want to. My memory issues did include little stuff like forgetting how my husband took his coffee, that I was no longer drinking any alcohol, and how to get to a couple places, but quick reminders brought the memories back.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky