View Single Post
Anonymous49071

Thumbs up Apr 18, 2019 at 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree2006 View Post
Thanks Singer47. I know some relaxation exercises from a book I have on DBT. But I would like to have the exercises recommended by you. Ok I will PM you.

Hi Desiree,

You seem to me to be a person that don't give up easy. That talent will benefit you in the exercises I want to present to you. I found a very good video a Youtube for you. I use the same exercises.

The theory goes so: It is impossible to feel anxiety when relaxed. It is impossible to feel relaxed when tense. These are two opposites that cannot co-exist.

These exercises will probably not work at first. I cannot promise you when they will work, but the point is that it will take you about two months to be able to use them at once the anxiety starts.

The exercises have to be done every day (at least in these two months). If you skip one day, just continue the next day as if nothing has happened.

When you do the exercises:
1) FEEL THE TENSION and try to remember that feeling.
2) FEEL THE RELAXATION and try to remember the feeling.

As you continues to do progress, you will be able to recognize when your muscles are tense and since you know how they feel when you are relaxed, you will be able to switch from the tense situation in your body to a relaxed situation. Remember that tension and relaxation cannot exist at the same time.

This does not mean that you always will be able to stop anxiety, but that you will be able to do it often or at least decrease the intensity.

Link to the exercises:
YouTube

Link to the scientific explanation for these exercises at the bottom of the article:
Progressive muscle relaxation - Wikipedia

I wish so much that this will work for you!

Hugs from:
Anonymous44144, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
Sunflower123