View Single Post
Anonymous49809

Default Apr 19, 2019 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feileacan View Post
What do you mean by blank slate?

My T is a psychoanalyst which by some definition I suppose should mean blank slate. My understanding about contemporary blank slate means no explicit self-disclosure, no overt reassurance, not directing, not giving any advice. However, it also means allowing all emotions, including very negative towards the T, implicit self-closure by being very present emotionally in the sessions, being very attuned and flexible, very good boundaries, very safe.

My background is also emotional neglect and for me my blank slate T is perfect because our connection is genuine, fully following my pace and not enforce on me. The T is ok with not having connection with me when I don't feel ready for that but is always waiting for me and open for that once I show any readiness to be connected.
The way you describe blank slate: no self disclosure and no reassurance, describes my T2. I had not previously thought of the lack of reassurance as being a part of the blank slate. A difference with my T compared to yours is that I don’t feel that she accepted my negative emotions (of insecurity) towards her. Which is ironic as I think her being blank slate elicited that. Maybe your T is just better at it than mine was. You describe your T as ‘safe’. I don’t feel that my therapy with T2 was safe. I’m wondering how your T is safe if he didn’t give reassurance? Is his consistency reassuring?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote