View Single Post
snowangel17

Member Since Jul 2017
1 hugs
given
Default Apr 19, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannahsays View Post
It is a fallacy of logic to argue that the lack of a clear delineation between sensitivity and too much sensitivity is evidence that there is no such thing as too much sensitivity.

I think there is definitely such a thing as being too sensitive, and it seems to me that denying this is shifting the responsibility for managing the too sensitive person's emotions onto other people - which is something people who are too sensitive sometimes do, directly or indirectly, intentionally or unintentionally. That is not helpful for anybody.

I wasn't arguing the point that the 'lack of a clear delineation between sensitivity and too much sensitivity is evidence that there is no such thing as too much sensitivity.' but merely stating it is a subjective statement. Where is the line between being 'too sensitve' and 'just sensitive enough that it's a good thing? To me most people seem to label someone 'too sensitive' when it impacts themselves. It is also often used as a form of placing 'blame' on another person.

Many people including you think there is such a thing being 'too sensitive' and that is fine. That is yours/their opinion which I happen to disagree with but that's ok! IMO there is a big difference between being sensitive to things/people/experiences and lack of emotional regulation. One is about myself and my experience and one often impacts others. I am responsible for how I feel and how I respond to that. I don't get to choose how I feel but it is mine. I don't blame others intentionally or unintentionally but by the nature of social interactions, sometimes others will directly or indirectly do or say something that contributes to how I feel.

Another poster mentioned it as a tool for manipulation? This is something different entirely. There is a big difference between 'feeling' things more intensely than others and 'being so sensitive to things/people and using it as a tool for manipulation' . Can people use it for manipulation? Yes, sure they can but so can many things. They are not the same.

Quote:
That is not helpful for anybody.
Also, How is my opinion on something not helpful to anybody? This is a public forum where differing opinions on topics are meant to be welcome. This is not a black and white topic with a right or wrong answer! Bit harsh of a statement if you ask me but heh ho 'maybe I'm just too sensitive"

Last edited by snowangel17; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM..
snowangel17 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, unaluna