View Single Post
eskielover
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2004
14.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 22, 2019 at 02:34 PM

Our local sheriff who held the CC class I went to suggested I get a shot gun for in my house. He said that anyone breaking & entering who hears the cocking of a shot gun will run in the other direction....no need to shoot. First gun I shot was a rifle. Lol....I was surprised I hit the target first try.

A little background on why I was surprised.....in Junior High I had friends who liked to target practice with bow & arrow. My first attempt to aim at the target, the arrow went up & over the house & landed in the back yard. I was so embarrassed I swore at that time I would NEVER do anything that required shooting at a target.

My alone life on my farm is giving me a second chance at all those things I didn't do well as a kid because I never had anyone willing to teach or guide. Lol....still not interested in bow & arrow shooting even though we have that hunting season here where I live. All the woodsy creatures around here KNOW my farm is a SAFE zone.

Shooting for me is either target practice or in worst case it would be self defense.

I will say that I think many people who do the mass shootings place no value on human life. Conditioned by movies & "technicolor blood" to not really see the real effect. But then I have another theory on some of the shootings but that is NOT what this thread is about.

@saidso. I think some of the problems with maturity levels becoming higher in the US is that there is no draft where young people are put into a place where they have to learn how to survive. Many live at home & go to college until they are older & that may not even be getting an advanced degree....but just fooling around in college trying to figure themselves out. Many parents no longer kick their kids out of the nest & make them fly on their own. The movie "Failure to Launch"comes to mind.

Those who end up in the military & those who do get out on their own, mature sooner than those who continue to be cared for by their parents until a much older age. Our society differs so much there is not a one description fits all kinda thing here & different states have different laws we to adult ages too for drinking & owning guns.

Leo's favorite place was in the passenger seat of my truck. We went everywhere together like this.
Leo my soulmate will live in my heart FOREVER Nov 1, 2002 - Dec 16, 2018
eskielover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
saidso