View Single Post

Default Feb 03, 2005 at 12:11 PM

Ugh. I just typed this big long thing in caffeinated hyper speed, and oopsy saw my little email thingy flashing...d'oh. HAD to check my mail!! Of course, silly me lost what I typed. I think it had to do with taking pride in our work.

I think people just don't do that as much as we used to...maybe it has to do with people changing jobs so much more - voluntarily and through layoffs. People don't have corporate loyalty like we used to in the "olden days". So when you don't care about the company, and maybe you don't care about your boss, and maybe you don't even care about your own reputation....poo happens.

When I first started working my father told me, "make your boss look good and you'll look good". He was right. Even when my boss was an idiot, working to help him succeed made me look good. And helping him achieve success helped the whole department look good. When the department looks good, more money is allocated to the department for salaries, supplies, etc. And even if he still failed, at least I looked like an employee who cared. And I actually DID care. I had heard so often in my life that I would amount to nothing, that when I suceeded at work, it was REALLY important to me. I gained a lot of ego strength there. Heck, I'm greatful for that crappy job!

Things are more difficult now for kids starting out. I try hard to encourage the "youngins". The positive feedback they receive at work may be the first they have EVER gotten in their lives. It can be a turning point for them.

Wow, that was a walk down a very old dusty memory lane! I think I got a wee bit off tanget tho...

emmy
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote