Thread: Support Groups
View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Apr 25, 2019 at 10:34 AM

I really wish there was a forum just for the subject of Support Groups; and for that matter, group therapy too.

Do you attend a Support Group? Is it peer led or a structured setting led and monitored by mental healthcare professionals? How does this make you feel? Is it hard for you to attend regularly? Has it become a social outlet for you? And so on. There is so much I think that could be discussed.

I have moved.

Before the move I attended a peer moderated group. There were no professionals in attendance. The benefits were that I felt far freer to share. The disadvantage was that it on occasion could have used some structure - it was difficult to take back control of a meeting when a participant would go off on a lengthy diatribe. But I felt like these people were my family. I looked forward to attending. There was a social component to doing so.

In my new community the local Mood Disorders Support Group is held at the hospital psych ward. It is moderated - and monitored - by psych nurses. Consequently I feel awkward about fully sharing as I at times feel the psych nurses are watching us intently. Being less open about our difficulties I think is one reason participants are not quite so socially connected. It is also a reason I at times am reluctant to attend. However, there is an advantage to this set up and that is the meetings are structured. There are guidelines governing the sharing process - which means participants are less likely to take over and hog the floor. This is huge.

Still, I really miss the people from my former Group. But I digress.

Thoughts?
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty