Thread: Driving anxiety
View Single Post
hope2010

Member Since Jan 2010
1,103 hugs
given
Default Apr 25, 2019 at 05:56 PM

I have the same problem. I am stuck in my house, for all the last winter, because I am terrified of driving. I can drive to the near supermarket though and to the gym that is also nearby my house.

Now, to drive to the Mental Health Clinic where I go for therapist and psychiatrist appointments, I just can not do it at the time. I have to drive for almost 30 minutes and go through the Highway.
I had been practice for months, exposure therapy. Also, DBT and CBT therapist. All that helped me so much. Till one day, about five months ago I just couldn't do it anymore.

I am afraid of having an accident, to hurt some, afraid of people pushing me to go faster because that will trigger a panic attack. Anyways, I used to drive everywhere, I never had to think about it, just go into the car and drive away. My life is not the same anymore, this is my new normal.

So, I will keep practicing all I had learned from CBT and start going to my therapy session no longer than next week. That is my goal, I will keep moving forward after accomplished that one.
As a dear friend I met here like to say, one breath in and one breath out. Together we can do it!

Hugs from:
Albatross2008