View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,279 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 26, 2019 at 07:09 AM

Saidso makes good points. Oh I didn’t think about being a counselor! That is a good idea!!!

High school isn’t for sissies, many people get eaten alive so to speak, it’s rough and tough BUT I’d never discourage anyone going into it if that’s what one wants to do and have aptitude for. You absolutely should do it if that’s what you want. Age doesn’t matter.

I mentioned pay check because well it’s important but I would discourage people going into teaching for that reason. Pay check is important for me but I didn’t go into it for that reason. It is not that well paid. Our state created a big mess and we took major pay cut in 2009 and since then salaries and steps froze in my district. Not a penny raise since 2009. Just saying. Don’t go into it for money. Unexpected things happen. I get paid 20k less than what I originally calculated.

Many districts and high schools teach multi ethnic literature, it’s not something unheard of or huge innovation. It is being taught especially nowadays BUT you can’t go into this profession in hopes to teach that particular class. You could be hired in August but September rolls in and something happened and it’s taken off the master schedule that semester. And now you might teach it next semester or maybe next year but this one you’ll teach something that you might not like. What you going to do? Quit? You can’t go into it with that specific of a goal.

Yes wanting to spend your days with loud teenagers and never be bored is likely the only reason that will sustain you in this profession. Everything else like curriculum or pay check changes all the time, but this will not change. So choose it but for the right reason or it would be too hard to sustain
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote