View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Apr 27, 2019 at 08:29 AM

I really caution you to be doing research and making your own diagnosis. It is possible to diagnose someone with anything based on information gleaned from the Internet. Better to leave such things to professionals. I am quite serious about this things.

I think too you would be a better friend helping her manage with what diagnoses have been made rather than trying to one-up her psychiatrist here. You are better to be supportive than telling her what amounts to you knowing best. Yes, not the words you want to hear but I can't stress them enough.

A few comments on what is happening here....

It is not like a doctor is able to prescribe the right medication on the first, second, or even third attempt. It takes time to get that right combination. Also, when it comes to medication, it can take up to 12 wks before they fully take effect - three months is a long time. Medication will help with moderating mood swings, but they will still happen owing to outside triggers. In my own case, I tend to get depressed during changes of seasons especially in the lead-up to summer. This is extremely common. This is when I have been hospitalised.

A bipolar person needs to be proactive about managing their mental health. Simply taking medication isn't going to solve their problems and normalise them. Things an individual diagnosed with bipolar ought to be doing are things like: staying physically active, eating healthy, staying busy, finding distractions, getting regular help from a therapist and/or psychiatrist. Most of all, a bipolar person has to make a concerted effort to avoid isolating themselves.

And this is where you as a friend come in.... the best help you can give your friend is to get them up and going and out of their home. No, you don't have to manage their life for them but you can help with occasional offers to get out for coffee, go for a walk, movie night, or just chatting now and then. One of the nicest things my father used to do for me was to go grocery shopping with me a few times a month. You can encourage this friend to find and attend a support group - maybe even attend the first meeting with them.

But as said, resist the urge to 'know best'. I know you wish to help but this isn't the way to go about doing it.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, piggy momma