View Single Post
MsSunflower

Member Since Apr 2019
121 hugs
given
Default Apr 27, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember_42 View Post
Yes, absolutely. There is the perception that it's only something teenagers do and then you get over it or grow out of it. I think puts an added load of guilt and shame on anyone that doesn't fit the expected mold.

Most of the time it might be a passing thought when I'm upset. I remember how much better it made me feel and I want that again. Once in a while I get so overwhelmed by life, by stress, and most of all by the things I can't control. Then I can fall back into it for a short time. Sometimes I can talk myself out of it and sometimes I can't. This last year has been a tough one for me and my family and I've been there a few times. Just last week I was right at the edge of relapsing. It's actually what brought me back to this forum again.
I'm sorry that you're going though this. It's nice to talk to someone else I can relate to. I've definitely been feeling a lot of shame for not being able to 'grow out of it' as you said. Are there things that help you to stop yourself? Lately I've reached out to my local crisis line but I live with other people and don't always have the privacy to talk openly.
MsSunflower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote