Veteran Member

Member Since Jan 2018
479 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 30, 2019 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
Maybe you've already done this, but have you expressed your desire to stop this to your T in session, and asked for help in stopping this? It does sound like depression is driving this, natural and normal. But it also seems like how you are living is NOT what you want, even if you "relish" it. Do you understand what's driving this more deeply, this disconnect from others? Sometimes I need my friends to reach out to me, I don't want to reach out to them. Sometimes I need to feel more in control of my life, so I cancel things or say no to things just because it makes me feel powerful. I haven't always felt powerful in relationships with others.

It sounds like this is both cognitive, perhaps shifting your conception of what's good for you right now, and partly behavioral, which is following through on what you yourself want. I think this is an issue that could be good to address directly in therapy.
Thank you for this. I have brought it up before, but not quite so coherently. When I'm not feeling too strongly like this, it tends to fade in importance (and usually when I am in a session, other issues come up which seem to me at the time, more important.

I think my disconnection stems from not feeling happy. I feel so far removed from my friends when we go out and I can't relax, or can't share in their things. I love them to bits, but I feel like they won't get me when I'm like this.
Merope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote