View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default May 01, 2019 at 10:06 AM

MsSunflower, firstly, congratulations on your 25 lb weight loss! That's a big deal!

I can absolutely commiserate on frustrations with medication weight gain. However, I'm glad you also mentioned that depression and/or the change in lifestyle sometimes plays a part. So often people don't consider that fact. Some also ignore the fact that some weight gain is inevitable for many people who aren't on medications. I weighed more 17 years ago, before ever taking a single bipolar med, than I did for at least four of the years that I was taking bipolar medications.

I did experience some significant weight gain on certain bipolar medications, which combined with mood issues didn't help. I guess my biggest increase was 40 lbs. The bulk during a one-year period of severe mental struggle. Around 30 lbs of it. The other 10 came on gradually.

At my highest weight on meds (or ever), I insisted on a med overhaul. I also sought the help of a dietitian. My blood work was horrible (pre-diabetic, plus high cholesterol/triglycerides). The dietitian was a support and held me accountable. I lost 40 lbs in only six months with these two things and maintained most all of that loss for a good four years, until some less weight friendly med doses increased, and...life.

I can't unequivocally list weight neutral/friendly bipolar medications. I can only list the ones that were so for me. They include(d):

* Lithium ER - Yes, weight neutral for me. I lost the 40 lbs while on 900 mg.
* Trileptal (maintained weight)
* Tegretol XR (lost the 40 lbs on and maintained)
* Lamictal (lost the 40 lbs on and maintained)
* Abilify (lost some weight on)
* Geodon (lost the 40 lbs on and maintained)
* Navane (thiothixene), a 1st generation AP (maintained on)
* Ativan and Klonopin, benzos I take (maintained on)
* All of the antidepressants I ever tried, which made me hypomanic/manic
* Provigil, a stimulant, but made me manic
* Side effect meds like Cogentin, Synthroid, and Propranolol

There were other medications I tried that were not THAT weight unfriendly. Risperdal could have been worse. Seroquel XR (but not regular Seroquel) doses of 350 mg and below. Above 350 mg, not as much.

I was only on Neurontin (gabapentin) for a few days. Others say that is weight neutral. I've heard Topamax is usually quite weight friendly. Never tried it. I have also never tried Latuda, Saphris, Rexulti, or other newer antipsychotics.

The medications I gained weight on were Zyprexa, regular Seroquel, Seroquel XR doses above 350 mg, Risperdal (to a small degree), Depakote, Invega, and Trilafon (perphanazine - a 1st generation). I never tried any other 1st generation besides Trilafon and the one in my bullet list. Obviously, I had to stop some "weight friendly" meds for other reasons.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; May 01, 2019 at 01:33 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
lightly toasted, MsSunflower