View Single Post
SweetCloud
Newly Joined

Member Since May 2019
4 hugs
given
Unhappy May 01, 2019 at 10:45 AM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I have become aware that the traits of (covert) narcissism very much apply to myself, i.e. grandiose fantasies, need for adulation, and long-standing patterns of dysfunction in relationships, all relationships.

I would like to aim to have at least some authentic relationships in my life, in which I actually have connection, and genuinely care about everything the person has to say. I want to be able to do this. I want to, and am taking steps to help myself.

I don't want a diagnosis. I have heard awful stories about NPD people being treated terribly by psychiatrists, i.e. being told to believe that they are always wrong, about everything.

But I am wondering how possible it is for me to change. I am also troubled by the narrative that narcissists are bad and 'evil'. Logic tells me this is wrong. These behaviours have happened for a reason, I don't believe narcissists are born. Even predisposition just means 'more likely'.

I don't really know what to do. I am fairly isolated, and the level of pain I am living with is huge. Extreme depression, shame, emptiness, futility. I have few friends and have never managed to make a relationships work.

Has anyone else committed to self-improvement? I notice that there doesn't seem to be a high frequency of posts in this sub-forum, so I am wondering whether others here are as lonely or isolated as myself. I wish to connect, if anyone wants to. If not, I'll go back to watching Netflix and dreading waking up every morning.
SweetCloud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
JupiterBraytech

Thanks for this!
Atypical_Disaster