Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default May 04, 2019 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
I agree with @WishfulThinker66.

I am very sorry that so many terrible things have happened to you. I also think that the way you are engaging with the world around you, which appears to be in a confrontational manner, is affecting your ability to complete your degree. I think there is a misperception, perhaps caused by trauma, in your ontological experience of the world. Are you seeking any professional help to help you deal with these things that have happened to you?

Getting a degree is about fulfilling the requirements of that degree. And each course required is about fulfilling the requirements of that course. From reading your interpretation of philosophers, it seems that, while you have read the texts, and even engaged with these texts, that your understanding of them is flawed (in the context of how the field interprets those texts), which is not mastery.

The way you addressed and appealed to the dean would not have resulted in a reversal of your grade. You mentioned ontology. And if you know the difference between ontological and epistemological truth, you know that the first speaks to your experience, and the second speaks to general agreement. Truth as we discuss it or objectivity, really refers to general agreement. It is generally agreed that Kant means X, and Freud means Y, etc. In a bachelor's program you learn the epistemological truth. When you pursue a graduate degree you go beyond that into challenging that truth and publishing research that would assert your theories. I am not debating this with you, I'm telling you how it works, regardless if you like it or not or if it's "right" or not. Why do you think Bill Gates, and so many other entrepreneurs and disruptors dropped out of school? They didn't want to play by the rules, and that road to knowledge didn't work for them.

If you want a degree you have to play their game. That's all there is to it.

But beyond that, it seems very obvious to me, anyhow, that you are in a great deal of pain, and I'm wondering if you are receiving any help for that. I hope so. It's very difficult to deal with all you've been through on your own.

Seesaw
Very well said. Multiple thumbs up.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
seesaw