View Single Post
(JD)
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2003
1,651 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2008 at 09:28 AM

When you feel frustrated and angry walk away. Put the child in a safe place and walk away, don't touch him, even if to hug because your frustration might still come out and you could hug him too tightly. Until you feel calm.

Yes, it is normal for some children to scream. You are right to put him in his crib and let him scream. I supposedly cried a lot when a baby, and the doctor told my mom the same thing. It built my lungs up and I became a good swimmer

If you give in to his screaming (read "demands") then that is what he will learn for life that he has to do to get attention.

You could, if you have time and are interested, begin to teach /learn sign language. Children from the age of 3 months can learn basic signs for hungry, tired, drink, sick, wet, etc. Children have the ability to handle this type of language (such as ASL) when they don't yet have verbal skills. It is showing to be a wonderful tool in curbing wild behavior.

If you are not up to sign language, then try giving the child simple verbal words to tell what he needs: food, play, hug etc. He's trying to communicate with you, and doesn't know how, but you can't give in to the screaming.

TC

Believe in Him or not --- GOD LOVES YOU!

Want to share your Christian faith? Click HERE
(JD) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote