Iloivar

Member Since Sep 2018
2 hugs
given
Default May 04, 2019 at 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=SilverTrees;6522415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloivar View Post
When suggesting that, I didn't really think of it that way. I just assumed that a therapist would be fine exploring that. Since we don't really know whether the OP felt worse from therapy in general, or the therapist she saw. It sounds like the former, and I can't see how a therapist would take offense to that. Then again, im sure there are a few incompetent therapists out there, as evidenced by your experience.

Sorry I misunderstood you Iliovar. I realize that Dance Engine didn't say why she felt worse when doing therapy. However, I think a talented and caring therapist would naturally make a client feel better. Yes, therapy can be uncomfortable particularly in the beginning but to actually feel worse? That sounds like a mismatch between therapist and client. I recommend that anyone screen a new therapist. Psychology Today provides helpful checklists and the psych authors who contribute there emphasize that therapy is only as good as the quality of rapport between therapist and client. I also screen doctors, dentists, or prospective landlords. Holding a position or credentials doesn't necessarily ensure that one is good at one's job. And people are particularly vulnerable when confiding in a psychologist. The field has its problems like all other fields. There are more than a few problematic therapists out there just as there are more than a few problematic teachers, doctors, mechanics etc. That's why I always encourage screening. Though of course you folks don't have to agree. Peace to all.
No need to apologize. If anything you gave better reasoning than what I had in mind when suggesting that.
Iloivar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote