divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,279 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2019 at 07:35 AM

Vent away!

I have one daughter (life just dudnt work out to have more and I accepted that) and I had her young and she moved out to go to college (very far) and never came back (I mean she comes to visit of course and stuff but not to live), so I complete empty nester at age 40. My husband also has two grown kids who were also out of the house early.

The thing is that we enjoy not having kids at home. Yes I would love to have kids living closer by but it is what it is. But I have no interest in having kids at home.

I don’t really think about purpose in life. Is there really such thing? I just enjoy what’s there. We do all kind of things that don’t involve kids. You can do all kind of things, with your husband and without. I do something every weekend that is some type of event of sorts. My husband works every other weekend. He works this one. I am going to Film festival with a friend and then out to eat. I also visit my dad on the way to a festival. You can travel. Go places. Plan things. If I had a little one, it would be more complicated! Having no kids around gives you ton of freedom. No babysitters needed etc I honestly enjoy my freedom

You can also plan things that do involve your grown kids. Our whole month of July is pretty much taken first by my daughter visiting here flying in with her boyfriend and then we are flying to see my stepdaughter. So you can still plan events and holidays with grown kids

And then one day maybe grandkids will start. That would get you busy!

Just to put things in a perspective two of my best friends have no children and have never been married. Doesn’t mean it’s the end of life for them. There are other things out there. You just have to adapt and adjust your life style

Saying all that, I think you’ll feel much better working even if part time or occasional. I know other stay at home moms (including my sister in law-brothers wife) and they typically have harder time with empty nest syndrome because they feel their purpose of life is gone. That’s why I think going back to work might be a very good change of gear for you.

Hugs and glad to hear your son is doing well and daughter is recovering. That’s all excellent news
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna

Thanks for this!
unaluna