Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 05, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
One sided interpersonal relationships can't be avoided, unfortunately no matter what we do, at least from my experience.

For instance, when I find myself always the one to have to initiate plans with the friend -- I know it's a one sided friendship.
When people cancel on me at the last minute and don't reschedule -- I know it's a one sided friendship.
The friend who only contacts me when they want or need something -- I know it's a one sided friendship.
The friend who is late all the time -- I know I'm low on their priority list or they wouldn't be chronically late, so I know it's a one sided friendship.
The friend who interrupts me constantly and monopolizes the conversation and doesn't really listen to anything I have to contribute -- I know it's a one sided friendship.

Examples of one sided relationships:

One person repeatedly having to call or email to get a response from the other.
One friend failing to contact the other unless they need a favor.
One person at the whim of the other in terms of plans, the frequency of get-togethers, and activities.
One person who talks over the other about his or her problems, but then fails to listen when their friend needs something.​

Why one sided friendships happen:

Mistakenly believes they are friends while the other thinks they are acquaintances.
Is lonely and desperate for friends.
Feels that everyone has a good side and will spend the time to see if it's true with their new friend.
Believes that their mentoring relationship has crossed over into friendship.
Is a fan of a celebrity or someone on social media and thinks they have a friendship when they don't.

How to Tell If You're in a One-Sided Friendship

Two more good articles:

Fairness and Reciprocity in Friendships

11 Signs You’re In A One-Sided Friendship & How To Fix The Problem
Yes I totally agree. In most cases it is loneliness and mistaking a friendship for an acquaintanceship. Also yes I’ve known people who have considered someone a friend while that person they befriended didn’t feel the same way. I did that in high school. That was my mistake. In college I had someone who would say me and her were friends when in reality, we were just acquaintances.

Last edited by rdgrad15; May 05, 2019 at 02:06 PM..
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote