View Single Post
FearLess47

Member Since Apr 2019
267 hugs
given
Default May 05, 2019 at 08:15 PM

Hi all...

I've been trying to gain a bit of knowledge and understanding of some common language or concepts which are common to complex PTSD and Dissociative Identity Disorder.

I have had many diagnoses over the years, and when my psych nurse causally told me she had me as "Bipolar 2" last year, I was surprised and just accepted it. We only saw each other 4 or 5 times a year...so she started adding antipsychotics and mood stabilizers, which I didn't react well to.

Considering that all signs are pointing more towards DID...I'm welcoming the idea of discovery and integration, even if it takes 10 days or 10 years or 20 years. I have an insane trauma history, with many layers. I've until recently been somewhat unwilling or unable to "look" at the timeline of my life (never made one) and to comprehend that all of the things on the list are me.

Recently my spine surgeon, a military veteran, told me and my husband that I remind him of his combat buddies and patients. Compartmentalized. He said I am really good at dealing with the physical pain but not so good at dealing with the emotional pain. I know I am this way. (He said, "It's like you're two different people." ) But I can't yet connect with it other than making jokes, or looking for a second, then looking away, etc.

I read my "list" of trauma stuff to my last T and she asked me if I realized how detached I was from any emotion of it.

Can you help me understand "compartmentalization" and "detachment" as it relates to severe, deeply entrenched trauma? I understand it is normal things our brains and bodies do to handle things, like dissociation. But I'd love to have a starting point, at least to correctly categorize the experiences.

(Rather than referring to it as "Mood Swings" from a chemical bipolar stance.) There are different "moods" AND different abilities in different parts.

Agh. Thanks for reading.

FearLess47

Hugs from:
Amyjay

Thanks for this!
Amyjay