Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 06, 2019 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLess47 View Post
PS--to simplify the original post question... I am wondering if there is a "difference" between detachment and compartmentalization.

Recently I read a book about mindful anger. There was a section on the difference between "feelings" (body based sensations) and "emotions" (sad, fear, anger). My mind was blown because I could not exactly grasp the difference. That demonstrates the level of jumbled disconnection I have sometimes with my OWN person/body.

FL47
the way my treatment provider explained the two....

detachment............distancing
compartmentalization ..... avoiding because of conflicting information, values, emotions and beliefs.

example .......

detachment of a stubbed toe

I can distance my self from feeling the pain and emotions and look at my toe and logically assess whether I need to see a doctor or not because the pain and emotions are not clouding my judgement.

compartmentalization of a stubbed toe

I avoid the pain and emotions and dont assess whether I need a doctor because I got that stubbed toe by way of someone who was supposed to be a safe person pushed me, the conflict is I like this person and care about this person and they have said many times they like and care about me, people who care about each other dont bully and push around the other... there is a conflict going on where love and caring doesnt match up with being pushed. so instead of facing the problem head on or assessing from a distance total avoidance kicks in.

another example a motor vehicle accident...

a person can distance their self from the feelings and emotions and do whats needed to take care of the situation, exchange insurance, make plans to have vehicles repaired, find another vehicle to use (detachment)

or they can avoid everything that has to do with the situation by not exchanging insurance, not making plans to get car repaired, they get out of their car, walk away and never drive a vehicle again, never get into another vehicle, never have anything to do with any part of thinking or doing anything about any part of the accident, total avoidance.(compartmentalize)

how does this relate to extreme trauma...

some people can distance their self from their feelings and emotions and still talk about the extreme trauma and deal with it, like its over there across the room, (detachment)

some people who have undergone extreme trauma have no memory nor emotions nor feelings about it and totally avoid anything that reminds them of it. goes on with their life as if the trauma never even happened, and live a happy go lucky life (compartmentalizing)
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
FearLess47