Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2015
1,043 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 06, 2019 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
Oh I do it too -- I go to the library and sit down with a pile of books and sift through them to pick and choose which chapters apply to my life. Then, like you commented, I remind myself that "hey, I already know this on a basic level, guess I need the validation and a refresher b/c I did forget." It's very empowering to read.

I know my codependency will always be my achilles heel with narcissists and superficial people. There is no cure for mine bc its so deeply ingrained. But, I will give myself credit that now I trust myself more than I used to when it comes to recognizing patterns in other people that act as a warning sign, not to engage with them into a relationship or friendship.

Am I always correct with my intuition? No, but I'd rather trust myself first and then later admit I was wrong, then vice versa which is what I grew up doing: apologizing without processing the situation and my involvement first and what I contributed.

Some introspection is good, but too much then it becomes perseveration (aka "dwelling") and dwelling on the past is not helpful because we know we can't change our past.

I don't think you need to switch between healing yourself and staying informed on narcissism. You can do both concurrently.

Yeah, you're right. But another thing that happened is that my narcissistic friend was berating me because I was feeling more confident...and ... I never take her advice. I point out that her advice is mostly unsolicited...and not helpful...because she just throws things out without knowing a situation fully. (To myself I think her advice is ridiculous and uniformed.)

So what does this mean? Well, beware of appearing confident around a narcissist. They don't want you feeling confident.

So if I wanted to say in a nutshell what happened between me and this friend is that she was not wanting me to change and be more confident.

This is a left-over relationship. I got rid of a lot of toxic people. I am a bit lonely. And my friend preys on that loneliness.

I personally think it is better to work on my co-dependency issues. Because the healthier I am the less it will attract narcissists. I have found this to be true. I haven't attracted any new narcissists in several years.

Also...I really hate reading about narcissists. I already know it but revisiting it too much is very depressing. Their actions create a lot of evil in the world.

You know the story about vampires. They can't come into your home unless you invite them. Well, I don't like inviting them into my mindstream, either.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous48672, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky